Monday, June 22, 2020

Living a Colorful Life

Pandemic life has been interesting to say the least.  The first month or two, I was doing a pretty good job of coming up with fun things to do with the kids.  Somehow, I got to explaining dying to my 6 yr old.  She was really interested, so we decided do some.

To keep it simple, I bought a kit.  We did indigo first.  We were able to get 3 rounds out of a single dye bath.  The cool thing with indigo is that the dye looks pale yellow until exposed to air.  We had a nice little lesson about oxidation.  It was really awesome to watch the color develop.


After the indigo, we tried madder, logwood, and hibiscus.  The indigo was by far the most fun and gave the best color.


Here's a look at the finished products.



I wanted to show off the different shades of indigo from the 3 runs, so I knit up a small purse based on a 14th c. Egyptian embroidery pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...