Saturday, February 22, 2020

MBCBPB

I'm making buttonholes for a doublet following the instructions in The Modern Maker.  I never really had anyone teach me how to make a button hole, so I used to just whip the cut edge with a simple buttonhold/blanket stitch.

I love the addition of the basting as it really does help hold everything together.  And, Gnagy's method really does make for a stronger button hole, but it's got a lot of steps.  So, here's my abreviated version, to help me remember.

M - Mark the button holes
B - Baste around the button holes
C - Cut the buttonholes open (using a cutter/punch helps)
B - Blanket stitch the raw edges
P - Pad stitch around to reduce stretch
B - Buttonhole stitch in the finish thread

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...