Saturday, October 12, 2019

16th and 17th C. Drill Manuals

Years ago, I was introduced to Jacob de Gheyn's Exercise of Arms.  It's 245 pages and has many beautiful illustrations of how to drill with calivers, muskets and pike.  It's one of my go to's for details of men's dress at the beginning of the 17th century.  It was published in 1608, but many of the illustrations date as much as 10 years prior.

Not long ago, I came across a reference to another one.  This one by Adam van Breen is from 1618 and includes 118 pages of illustrations for drill with shield, spear, rapier and target.  The illustrations are all available on line and are even in color, which I love to see.  I might just need to trim my next pair of pants like this!


Turns out, there's a whole Wiki version dedicated to the various manuals and treatises!  I could spend hours looking at the clothing details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...