Sunday, November 10, 2019

The Hessian Costume Collection

I came across a reference today to a doctoral thesis on a collection of garments at the Hessian State Museum.  One of the doublets included is detailed in Arnold's Patterns of Fashion, and I've never been able to find additional details about it.

It contains patterns and construction details for each of the garments along with analysis of the historical context.  I was a bit disappointed that there don't seem to be details (like the size or construction method) for any buttons, but it's still very impressive and I'm thrilled to have found it.

Oh, I should mention that it's in German.

I searched for the terms I was interested in and used google translate to understand the sentences around them.  So, it's very possible that I missed something.

The Costume Historian has a great overview including the list of 23 garments, and the full thesis can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...