Friday, October 4, 2019

Linen Doublets

Due to our hot summers, I've made several linen doublets over the years, but was generally under the impression that wool and silk were more appropriate.  A few years ago, it was brought to my attention that there are some surviving linen doublets.  They generally seem to have used a stiffer, tighter linen than I've typically used and have also been described as linen canvas.

Here are the ones I've been able to find.

The Reigate Cache linen doublet.  A general description is given at the concealed garments site. Early 17th century.


The Alpirsbach Monastery linen doublet. A general description and pattern are available at germanrenaissance.net. c.1540-1575
The National Scotland Museums linen doublet.  Details from the museum site. c. 1650-1665
The V&A linen doublet. Details from the museum site. c. 1635-1640
The pinked linen doublet of Antonello Petrucci.  No details available other than pinterest. c.1585

The Manchester Art Gallery doublet. Details from the museum site, c. 1625-1630.


The quality of the available information varies quite a bit across the doublets, but from what details we have, they all seem to have a very tight weave and a multiple layer of construction.  Some are ornately decorated, or even pinked!

The first two are quite simple / plain and likely represent an everyday or common man's doublet.  This is the look I'm going for on my next linen doublet.

As a side note, there is another example of a common man's doublet in wool in the V&A.  It's interesting to compare the simplicity of design and similarity of construction between these examples of different outer material.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...