Saturday, June 9, 2018

Jamestown Conference - Day 3

The morning started with workshops by the Tudor Tailors.  Jane talked about garters, mostly knit.  We got to touch and examine extant knitting pieces from the 17th c and learned that when cross gartering, you should twist at the back! I forgot to take pictures, but Jane did look at the yarn I brought and liked the weight and feel of it, so I shall be knitting some garters and reporting back.

Shetland Wool Brokers J&S cobweb single ply

Ninya walked us through how to fit cloth bias cut hose.  You first pin on your leg, then cut the slit for the gussets while it's on your foot.  Next cut out the gusset triangles and pin in place on the foot.  Then trim for seam and sew.



The afternoon included a workshop with Kat Ferneley to make hooks and eyes.  It's really amazing the difference having the right tools makes. She handed out a great list of instructions and supplies and where to get them.

Noel's starching workshop was fun.  I didn't get a chance to actually starch the ruff that I made, but I did sew the guide thread and use a curling iron to set the figure eights.

The evening was the fort frolic.  It's pretty amazing to see folks in some of their best period clothing.  This included a few in 18th c and even a few native americans.  There were also several who choose modern dress, which, given the heat, was not a bad choice.

The amazing group of tailors. Picture courtesy of Andrea Callicut.

I did dress in 16th c.  I was debating up until earlier in the day, but getting to set my ruff was the deciding factor.  It was hot, but I'm glad I did it.  The highlight of the evening was Grace, decked out in her amazing lace, working up the gumption to talk to Jenny Tiramani. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...