Thursday, June 7, 2018

Ear Iron (Brass) for Coif Wearing

You can probably guess from the other posts here that I've been trying to figure out this coif thing for a while.  Going back 15+ years, I've never felt that my coifs fit right or stay well on my head.

Check out my page with details on coif sizing.

From the Jamestown Costuming Conference two years ago, I learned about oorijzers or ear irons.  In looking further at portraits, I'm amazed I hadn't noticed them before.  So, I made one for myself.

I've collected several portraits of women wearing a coif.  If you look closely in front of the ears, you can see what I believe to be an ear iron on some of them.  An ear iron certainly does help explain the sharp point or rigid position of some of the veil corners.

I followed the instructions at these two sites and used brass craft wire (because it's what I had on hand).  It was quite easy.

https://ateliernostalgia.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/oorijzers-ear-irons-part-1/

https://dutchrenaissanceclothing.com/2016/08/recreating-flemish-caps-veils-oorijzer/



I even braided up my hair and wore it to an event. No pictures, I'm afraid, because my braids didn't stay and I got very frustrated.  I'll post some once I've figured it out a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...