Sunday, September 10, 2017

MMM Doublet Finished!

Back in December, my husband and I started on a new doublet. It had been a few years, and I now had a copy of the The Modern Maker by Mathew Gnagy. We decided to try his method (here after referred to as MMM - The Modern Maker Method). We started with a simple muslin mock, then moved on to the full garment.  In the process, there were holidays, job changes, a surgery with lengthy recovery, plus life with two kids.

It took 9 months and 100+ hours, but it's done.  The last buttons were sewn on yesterday.  It was a really interesting process, and I think we both learned a lot.  I've done a fair amount of hand sewing before, but it might just be our first entirely hand sewn garment.  I recommend the MMM, but I'm thinking that until life slows down a bit for us, I would machine sew the straight seams to save a little time.

You can check out some pictures of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...