Thursday, July 26, 2018

More Garters

ETA: I finished the second garter on 9/4.

I'm pleased to announce that I finished my first garter last week.  I've already started the second and will post more pictures when I'm done.

But, more exciting is that a friend, Diane Glewwe, finished one of her garters.  She graciously gave me permission to share her notes and pictures here.  I have edited it only to remove some specifics of the "recipe" as per Jane Malcolm-Davies. So, with no further ado, I bring you:

Diane's Garter
After completing one garter here are my notes.
Hand Knitted Garters
Yarn used:
100% Romney Wool
2 ply from Beaver Valley, Washington
www.insouciantfibers.com
Worsted Weight
96 (g), 148 yards
Needle Size: US 2

What I learned:
In the beginning I was trying to watch the tension, so the edges would come out even. A friend pointed out that the yarn was, slightly, not a consistent thickness which may have caused the uneven edges. (See photo of yarn)
I didn’t sweat the small stuff. I didn’t count rows and gave up on knitting smooth finished edges.
I did make sure the purl row was on the same side of the garter as the other. Honestly, it probably wouldn’t matter because, as in some common extant garments, the finished product would not have been perfect.
It took approximately five minutes to knit 1” (at my pace). Which is about 3 hours to knit one garter.
No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: outdoorNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: people standing

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...