Sunday, January 7, 2018

Finishing an Old Doublet

The last time I made clothes for myself was over 5 years ago.  I know I based it on an illustration from Jost Amman's Frauen-Tractenbuch, but I've long since lost my notes.  The kirtle and doublet are mostly finished, but I never finished the trimming.

I looked today to find my original inspiration and decide on how to finish it.  Here are the 3 images that I found that elements of the doublet I was attempting to make (I think).



My medieval German is non-existent, but I'm pretty sure this first image is JA's representation of Hispanic dress.  JA was German, and I'm not sure he ever traveled to Spain, so I don't want to be to literal in using this image.  Besides, I'm pretty sure I was going for a German look.  However, I like the doublet which flares at the waist with trim down the front that turns the corner to wrap the bottom edge.


With the apron, it's difficult to tell if this is a separate doublet, but I like the fur around the collar.  It's likely that this was fur lined (judging by the fur shown at the arms as well).  I was looking for a way to incorporate a fur collar that I picked up years ago at a thrift store.  I don't condone killing animals for their fur, but if someone else has already done it, I'm fine with giving it a second life.


This image has a doublet similar to the Hispanic image above.  The trim comes down the front, then turns the corner to follow the bottom edge.  I also like the flared open collar with ruff/ruffle.  She seems to be a bit more middle class, which is usually the look I prefer. 

I think this 3rd image was the one I was working from, with the idea that if I wear the doublet open down to the waist with the fronts turned back like lapels, I could add the fur collar as an optional second look.

Next steps:
1. See if I can translate the first line of each of the images.
2. Take a look at what I have and see what I can make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Buttons

 After teaching at the recent Jamestown Clothing Conference, someone asked me for pictures of my buttons.  I've posted about the researc...